Re: FW: [Glade-devel] RE: Win32 port of GTK+2.6.1

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
Also, as the MSVCR7*.DLL are not part of the operating system like
MSVCRT.DLL, it's against the (L)GPL to distribute (L)GPL software that
would use MSVCR7*.DLL. (I am not a lawyer, but this seems to be the
common interpretation of the situation.) Thus, now and in the
foreseeable future, (L)GPL software for Windows should continue to use
MSVCRT.DLL.

IANAL, but isn't the situation different w/ GPL v the LGPL? LGPL allows linking with non-opensource components.

I strongly advice people who might still insist on building GLib, GTK+
etc themselves with MSVC 7.* and to use MSVCR7*.DLL to use different
names for their DLLs, to avoid confusion. The "standard" DLL names
that a mingw build produces should be used only for DLLs that use
MSVCRT.DLL. Otherwise there will be no end of confusion if and when
there starts to appear various distributions of GTK+ etc built to use
different C runtimes but using the same DLL names.

Yes, the names should be changed. Note that this situation is almost certainly going to become more common as more software will be built using MSVC 7+.

John