Re: g_object_ref_sink and GUnowned

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Owen Taylor wrote:

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 17:49 +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
   GUnowned derives from GObject, has intiially a floating ref_count.

I hate to quibble names, but it seems really strange to have a
class GUnowned where instances are normally owned. (In fact, the
goal of anybody using a GUnowned has to be to get someone to own it.)

GInitiallyUnowned

Thu Dec 22 18:53:14 2005  Tim Janik  <timj gtk org>

        * gobject.[hc]: renamed GUnowned to GInitiallyUnowned.

Thu Dec 22 18:53:14 2005  Tim Janik  <timj gtk org>

        * gtk/gtkobject.[hc]: renamed GUnowned to GInitiallyUnowned.

Is long, but since it doesn't have any methods, that shouldn't matter.
I don't fully understand the point of having a class rather than
some other way of marking class behavior, but I haven't followed
the conversation in detail.

in fact, there is no technical reason for this. so many people have
argued this to be better though (havoc even went so far as to argue
why this would be conceptually neccessary), that i decided to simply
sponsor an object type if that helps the majority to understand which
objects are floating and which are not.

---
ciaoTJ