Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:57 +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
right, since the floating flag is stored in GObject in 2.9, so altering
the GtkObject won't have any effect.

From the point of view of the release team, We Cannot Break Existing
Code(tm).

Do we really need a floating flag in gobject?

We should discourage this:
 Obj *o = obj_new ();
 foo_set_obj (o);
 /* I no longer own the reference to o */

GtkWidget is an old-enough API that we can consider it a special case.

Whether gtkmm does the right thing is debatable.  I'd just like to know
why we need floating references at the glib level.

please read:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-September/msg00165.html
and the associated thread which provides the original rationale.

 Federico

---
ciaoTJ