Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:57 +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> right, since the floating flag is stored in GObject in 2.9, so altering
> the GtkObject won't have any effect.

>From the point of view of the release team, We Cannot Break Existing
Code(tm).

Do we really need a floating flag in gobject?

We should discourage this:
  Obj *o = obj_new ();
  foo_set_obj (o);
  /* I no longer own the reference to o */

GtkWidget is an old-enough API that we can consider it a special case.

Whether gtkmm does the right thing is debatable.  I'd just like to know
why we need floating references at the glib level.

  Federico