GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

In GTK+ 2.9, GTK_FLOATING is deprecated and README.in states that it can
no longer be used to detect floating objects. I hope nobody is using
that. I assume that effort was made to avoid this ABI breakage.

But does this also mean that setting GTK_FLOATING has no effect with
2.9? We do use this in gtkmm. GTK+ 2.9 has g_object_force_floating(),
but I don't know of an equivalent that I can start using in gtkmm 2.8
now before GTK+ 2.9 is widely available.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com