Re: Linking glib with gld in Irix

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 02:22:17PM +0200, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:48:25 -0500
> Albert Chin <gtk-devel-list mlists thewrittenword com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 03:41:19PM +0200, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> > > I have problems building glib (2.6.6) in Irix using GCC, gas and gld
> > > (no, I don't forget to use --with-gnu-ld). It fails then linking
> > > glib-genmarshal against glib because some symbols, including
> > > g_malloc cannot be found. Then I examine the glib library (using
> > > GNU objdump) I see than most symbols are marked hidden, for example:
> > >
> > > 60017e80 l     F *ABS*  00000000 .hidden IA__g_malloc
> > >
> > > While a few are not, for example:
> > >
> > > 600354bc g     F *ABS*  00000000 g_strcasecmp
> >
> > Is GNU ld even recommended for building GCC no IRIX? I don't think so.
> > GNU ld isn't feature-complete on IRIX:
> >   http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-06/msg00621.html
>
> Yes, I'm well aware of that issue and had to hack around it. It happens
> every time you link to the thread library without linking to the mpi
> library (and if you DO link with the mpi library the same thing
> happens with another library and so on). But there are bigger issues
> then not using gld I think. And I think that gld has become the
> default linker for GCC on Irix recently.

I think they're only recommending GNU as.

There are certainly issues with GCC 3.4+ with IRIX ld though. We've
run into one so far:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-06/msg00488.html

> Do you know if these issues (of gld) are related?

No idea. Why not try linking with /bin/ld to determine if the problem
is GCC or GNU ld?

--
albert chin (china thewrittenword com)