Re: Linking glib with gld in Irix

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:48:25 -0500
Albert Chin <gtk-devel-list mlists thewrittenword com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 03:41:19PM +0200, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> > I have problems building glib (2.6.6) in Irix using GCC, gas and gld
> > (no, I don't forget to use --with-gnu-ld). It fails then linking
> > glib-genmarshal against glib because some symbols, including
> > g_malloc cannot be found. Then I examine the glib library (using
> > GNU objdump) I see than most symbols are marked hidden, for example:
> >
> > 60017e80 l     F *ABS*  00000000 .hidden IA__g_malloc
> >
> > While a few are not, for example:
> >
> > 600354bc g     F *ABS*  00000000 g_strcasecmp
>
> Is GNU ld even recommended for building GCC no IRIX? I don't think so.
> GNU ld isn't feature-complete on IRIX:
>   http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-06/msg00621.html

Yes, I'm well aware of that issue and had to hack around it. It happens
every time you link to the thread library without linking to the mpi
library (and if you DO link with the mpi library the same thing
happens with another library and so on). But there are bigger issues
then not using gld I think. And I think that gld has become the
default linker for GCC on Irix recently.

Do you know if these issues (of gld) are related?