gdk_destroy event, gtk_widget_destroy

hi,

here is a simple question about gdk ;) I am trying to port the gdk to a
home-brew windowing system, every thing goes ok but I could not manage to
close a gtk window from inside the gdk.

the situation is, i can run test-gtk and all its windows, etc.. when I close a
window from its "CLOSE" push-button everything is ok. but I have to close it
when I push the magic "X" icon from the window decoration area, too.

So I tried something like this,

{
        GdkEvent *event;
        GdkWindow *event_win;

        event_win = .....; here event window is GDK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL. the
gdkwindow
that I want to close.

        event = gdk_event_new(GDK_DESTROY);
        event->any.window = event_win;
        event->any.send_event = TRUE;
        _gdk_event_queue_append(gdk_display_get_default (), event);
}

this is not working ;) it does not call gtk_widget_destroy when it receives
the destroy event.

what am I doing wrong?

alper.