Re: GIOChannels, GNet, GOIO

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 04:59 +0000, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Jody Goldberg writes:
>  > Throw libgsf into the mix if you're going to start considering
>  > merges.
>
> What about the linc2 library (used by ORBit2, for instance)? Could you
> check whether it also should be thrown into the mix? It (as far as I
> can recall) partly duplicates the functionality of GNet.

I've looked at linc 1 & 2, and it does partly duplicate functionality,
yes. I know I took the "state-changed" signal from linc for Gio.

> linc2 uses GIOChannels and GPollFDs in ways which doesn't work with
> the Windows implementaion of GIOChannels. (See bug #120299 for the
> complexities involved.) This new library you are planning, would it be
> designed to work on Windows also from scratch? (If not, I am not
> blaming you, I really am a Unix guy, too, even if have this morbid
> hobby of tinkering with the Win32 port of GLib and GTK+)

The GioFileStream object currently uses a single GSource who's events
condition is modified when the user calls the start/stop_read/write()
methods. I'm not sure if this is valid usage, as I've not tested it, but
it looks like it should work. Making the win32 version of this work
should be possible -- though it may require some massaging to ensure
that only one thread is actually running for each actual source on
disk...

I certainly would *like* any work to behave itself on both Unix and
Win32, though I don't have the necessary skill, tools, or time to worry
about win32 myself. I will say that I'd prefer to totally hide the messy
details of a multiplatform file/socket GSource behind a basic "give me a
source for this handle" API.

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "We still name our military helicopter gunships after victims
     of genocide. Nobody bats an eyelash about that: Blackhawk.
     Apache. And Comanche. If the Luftwaffe named its military
     helicopters Jew and Gypsy, I suppose people would notice."
       -- Noam Chomsky, "Propaganda and the Public Mind"