Should gdk_spawn_* take a GPid* (was: Re: g_spawn_async incompatible api change)

At 15:45 08.03.04, Owen Taylor wrote:
On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 18:03, Hans Breuer wrote:
> Compiling The Gimp reveals that the recently added GPid (== void*)
> may be not such a good idea :

Sorry for not noticing earlier, but the gdk_spawn_* functions
obviously have the same problem, at least those which return
the child id. Would it be allowed to change these into taking
a GPid* or would this be a actually an API breakage ?

> How do we fix this ?
> Changing it back to "typedef GPid int" in glibconfig.h ?

Ugh. I was hoping this would be a "harmless" warning in MSVC as it is
for GCC.
[...]

The question to me isn't really "is this API breakage?" (on Windows,
with MSVC) but rather  "do we care that it is API breakage?". And I'm
not sure I'm in a good position to answer that.

But if it was up to me, I'd say that we should keep the API breakage
rather than keeping the broken API.

I certainly hope the same applies for gdk_spawn-* functions ;-)

Thanks,
        Hans