Re: GtkFileSystemGnomeVFS

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:08:43AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 19:56, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Evan Martin <martine danga com> writes:
> > > [...]  I would use [the GNOME proxy settings] if I knew a reliable
> > > way to query them that wouldn't alienate all of my anti-GNOME
> > > users!
> >
> > [...]
> > I disagree with Evan. It shouldn't be necessary to link to any GNOME
> > libs in order to benefit from the new GTK+ file chooser. IMO it was
> > already a bad idea to call the VFS layer gnome-vfs.
>
> I don't understand this comment. Are you saying that the name is all
> that matters? So, If we called libgnomeui libusefulwidgets instead,
> the anti-GNOME users wouldn't complain?

At least in my case (as I am the one who wrote "anti-GNOME"), a
significant fraction of the users use some other desktop (or even The
Other Desktop) and have to specially install glib, gtk, etc. to use my
program.  They're not anti-GNOME in particular; they are just reluctant
enough to install more and more packages.

(And yes, this is something that ought to be solved by the distribution,
but that doesn't make the current users any happier.  And I still get
bug reports from Debian users because their binary links against against
gtkhtml and pulls in an 18 extra libraries.  *shrug*)

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com