Re: File name encoding and GTK ABI compatibility on Win32

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 00:57 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Note that annotations like this would likely cause problems for tools
> like gtk-doc that parse header files.  So there are more than just
> aesthetic complaints about making the headers unreadable.

OK, so the #defines that alias the names to the _utf8 versions could be
in a separate block.

Still, I do wonder about this renaming: it would be a bit confusing for
people who dlopen functions and not realising that when compiled against
different versions of GTK+ they get different encodings in their app.

Why could there not be a global flag set instead of using variable
renames? ie before running gtk_init() call gtk_win32_set_utf8_names
(TRUE); - this would keep binary compatibility, not require header
changes, and wouldn't cause odd breakage in the case of dlopen being
used.

thanks -mike