Re: File name encoding and GTK ABI compatibility on Win32

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 01:32 +0000, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Mike Hearn writes:
>  > If you are going to do this, please make it optionally enabled (tied to
>  > the win32 UNICODE macro, perhaps?).
> The UNICODE macro directs using wchar_t vs. "normal" char Win32
> API. It would be very confusing to use it for some other purpose.
>  > Please don't just magically make programs compiled against the glib
>  > 2.6 headers silently depend on 2.6 only symbols.
> I think we have done that in the past, too?

I can't think of specific examples in the past (though we've never
supported compile-on-newer, run-on-older), but there is certainly
another example for 2.6 ... g_return_if_fail_warning().

I don't see constraining ourselves to support compile-on-newer
run-on-older. There's a lot of useful stuff that that prohibits.