Re: GtkFileChooser API changes

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 18:18, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 03:37, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > These are cool. I've discussed adding support of them in nautilus. I
> > called them 'favourites' in the volume handling email thread. These
> > should totally be shared between nautilus and the file selector. I will
> > soon start working on adding this and the volume handling stuff to
> > gnome-vfs, so this should be easy to use in the gnome-vfs GtkFileSystem
> > implementation.
>
> Cool, I'll take a look.  Yes, they should definitely be shared between
> Nautilus and the file chooser.
>
> Should this be an XDG/Freedesktop standard?  Maybe other environments
> could make use of the bookmark directories as well.

I don't think there is much point to it. Its really much of an interface
choice Gnome makes. Other desktops might not want this or want to do it
differently, so inventing yet another way to store data and losing
important features such as gconf notifies doesn't seem right to me.

> For now, mainly for testing purposes, I am storing the bookmarks in
> GConf, under /desktop/gnome/interface/bookmark_folders.

I need to do some work on the new volumes system before I can comment on
how I'd like the implementation. We can revisit this at a later stage.
The new volume handling model also includes a "connect to server" much
like the OSX one, which is sort of similar to favourite folders. We will
see how these two things will work together.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a war-weary bohemian inventor looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
vivacious goth detective who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!