Re: A few problems with GtkFileChooser

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 10:18, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 14:06, iain wrote:
> > I've been trying out the file chooser in my program and have come
> > against a few issues
> >
> [snip]
>
> > 4: When you select a filter, say "All PNGs" all the directories
> > disappear too.
>
> I'm trying from fairly-up-to-date CVS, and when I select a mime-based
> filter _everything_ disappears, files and directories.  I did a bit of
> digging, and my mime types seem a bit hosed, all files are coming out as
> "application/octet-stream", and all directories as NULL.  (I'm going to
> investigate further...)

I think you need the XDG mime information installed for the Unix backend
MIME type detection to work properly. I'm not sure what we'll do about
this for the final GTK+-2.4 release... probably just make it another
dependency of GTK+ :-(

 http://www.freedesktop.org/software/shared-mime-info

Though perhaps directories all just show up with a NULL mime type.

> Do we have to specify "x-directory/normal" in the list of mime types for
> the filter in order to see folders?  This only makes sense if we're
> intending for the user to select a directory itself.
>
> Perhaps we need to always list folders; attached is a patch to the
> default widget's list model filter which does this (plus a bit of
> useless debug code as I track down my MIME issues).

If you make it only do that when the filechooser isn't in directory
mode, looks fine to commit. (Without the debug spew, of course.)