Re: gtk+-2.3/2.4 backwards compatibility

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:06, Jens Ansorg wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm not a developer of gtk apps, just a user of x86 linux software that
> builds on gtk. And a curious one ;)
>
> I installed the gnome-2.5 development packages including gtk+-2.3. The
> build went fine and so far all Gnome 2.4 aps seem to work fine.
>
> But there is one other app I use in a Gnome/gtk environment: eclipse
> (http://www.eclipse.org). The provided binary stopped working right
> after I upated gtk+ form 2.2 to 2.3 (after the updates of glib and pango
> before eclipse did still work).
>
> I tried to build eclipse from sources (works with gtk+-2.2) but there
> were errors during compilation (javac to build the java classes).
>
> Now, eclipse is a java app. But it builds on top of gtk for the user
> interface on Linux.

Someone talking to me on IRC said that this was a toolbar related
issue.

Some people were accessing GtkToolbar private data and internal
structure in ways we found impossible to support. The GTK+ port of
Emacs did this. Also Glade.

I don't know if this applies to Eclipse - without information in detail,
it's impossible to say. Having this information in detail would be
great.