Re: Thinking about GtkFileSystem

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

>   /* Methods
>    */
>   GSList *           (*list_roots)     (GtkFileSystem *file_system);

Should this call be able to return an error? I imagine stuff like "no
response from server".  Essentially, a file system should be able to
report that it is unusable for some reason.

> Miscellaneous questions about API
> =================================
>
> - Supporting operations on a non-monitored directory is
>   going to add complexity to file system implementations.
>   Perhaps we should rename GtkFolderMonitor to GtkFileFolder
>   and move list_children() and get_info() to there.

That sounds like a good idea to me. A GtkFileFolder would then become
a natural place to associate caching information.

> - Is additional information needed in GtkFileInfo -
>   is-symlink? atime? ctime? permissions?

It seems to me that the file system must be able to report about
hidden files. On Unix that would be files whose name start with a dot,
but on Windows "hidden" is a separate attribute on the file.

Søren