Showing a window behind others?

Is there a way to do this?
I have looked at GtkWidget, GtkWindow and GdkWindow manual pages online.  I
have tried a combination of using gdk_window_raise() and gdk_window_lower()
but have not been successfull.  I also attempted using
gdk_window_show_unraised().

This is what I am trying to do...

Window 1 - connection status.
Window 2 - main window.

Window 1 shows first to report a problem.
Window 2 shows second (on top)

I want to show Window 2 behind Window 1.  I can do this with
gtk_window_set_transient() BUT, at the time I load Window1, Window2 is not
shown.  To do this, I would have to set a flag and call the transient
function after Window 2 is shown.

Is there a way of doing this? If not, would it be feasable to have a
function in Gtk or Gdk along the lines of gdk_window_show_behind(GdkWindow
*window) which puts the window at the bottom of the z-order?

Regards,
Martyn