Re: patch to build glib with automake 1.6/1.7

Owen Taylor wrote:

   * use AC_HELP_STRING() to format help messages for --with-* and
     --enable-* arguments.

For completeness, it should be noted that Art Haas sent in a patch
to do this some time ago:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2002-June/msg00175.html

Though it was never put in bugzilla. Maybe you want to check over
that and make sure that your patch completely subsumes the changes
there.

It looks like my patch does. (the AC_HELP_STRING calls it makes that my patch doesn't is for the gtk-doc related ones, which are now handled by gtk-doc's m4 macro).

   * Add an AC_CONFIG_FILES() call in an "if false" block.  This lists
     things like the makefile.mingw files, etc.  This way they don't
     get built when you run config.status with no arguments (as
     before), but Automake will automatically generate rules to rebuild
     them.  This allowed me to remove a fair number of Makefile.am
     rules which simplified things.

Well, we'll hope this continues working in the future ...
The AC_CONFIG_FILES() inside an if block idiom has been suggested on the autoconf list a number of times (I could give you a few archive links if it would help). Puting the AC_CONFIG_FILES() call inside a block that will never be called by the shell (but is evaluated by M4) is pretty much the same thing.

Some other questions about your configure.in changes:

- Any particular reason feature that you changed the AC_PREREQ
  from 2.53 => 2.54. I don't mind the newer prereq ... just
  curious.

That change probably wasn't strictly needed (I don't think anything in configure.in itself requires 2.54), but some of automake's macros (that are included by configure.in) require 2.54. This should help make the requirements more obvious.

- Is there some particular principle behind where you added extra quoting? Tool you were using to decide where to
  add them?

I was originally planning to do a more extensive review of the quoting in the configure script, but didn't get round to it. It is probably better to leave any more of that kind of work til after committing this patch (it is large enough as is).

- For the change of echo glibconfig.h is unchanged to AC_MSG_NOTICE() .. is that legitimate since this is run inside config.status rather than configure?

That is how the other messages config.status prints are produced, so I assume it is correct. It has the benefit that the message will be appended to config.log as well as printed to the screen (which can be useful when diagnosing problems).

The one other thing that I noticed is that gmarshal.c should
depend on gmarshal.list/glib-genmarshal rather than gmarshal.h ..
gmarshal.h could remain the same and gmarshal.c have to change.

Oops. That looks like a mistake from when I was converting those files over to using BUILT_SOURCES. I'll fix it before checking in.

In general, the patch looks good, as much as I can tell from
a patch of this size. Why don't you go ahead and commit.. I don't really want to go through it all again :-)
Okay. I will check it in tonight. There are a few other cleanups I would like to do, but they should be much smaller and easier to review.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/