Re: patch to build glib with automake 1.6/1.7

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 03:37, James Henstridge wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I just attached the second revision of my patch on bug 74706 at:
>     http://bugzilla.gnome.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=14708

> This patch includes a few more modifications to the configure.in file:
>
>     * use AC_HELP_STRING() to format help messages for --with-* and
>       --enable-* arguments.

For completeness, it should be noted that Art Haas sent in a patch
to do this some time ago:

 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2002-June/msg00175.html

Though it was never put in bugzilla. Maybe you want to check over
that and make sure that your patch completely subsumes the changes
there.

>     * Add an AC_CONFIG_FILES() call in an "if false" block.  This lists
>       things like the makefile.mingw files, etc.  This way they don't
>       get built when you run config.status with no arguments (as
>       before), but Automake will automatically generate rules to rebuild
>       them.  This allowed me to remove a fair number of Makefile.am
>       rules which simplified things.

Well, we'll hope this continues working in the future ...

Some other questions about your configure.in changes:

 - Any particular reason feature that you changed the AC_PREREQ
   from 2.53 => 2.54. I don't mind the newer prereq ... just
   curious.

 - Is there some particular principle behind where you added
   extra quoting? Tool you were using to decide where to
   add them?

 - For the change of echo glibconfig.h is unchanged to
   AC_MSG_NOTICE() .. is that legitimate since this is
   run inside config.status rather than configure?

The one other thing that I noticed is that gmarshal.c should
depend on gmarshal.list/glib-genmarshal rather than gmarshal.h ..
gmarshal.h could remain the same and gmarshal.c have to change.

In general, the patch looks good, as much as I can tell from
a patch of this size. Why don't you go ahead and commit..
I don't really want to go through it all again :-)

Thanks,