Re: Pixbuf loader for jpeg2000?

Owen Taylor wrote:
On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 19:23, Chad A Daelhousen wrote:

I had been planning on a separate loader that knew about the format
itself, since I couldn't find anything to handle it besides the JasPer
reference code.

Hmm, I don't think we would want a chunk of code as big as I suspect
would be needed for jpeg2000 to be in GTK+ itself. The builtin loaders
for GTK+ are for more or less simple formats that are basically
just wrappers around the bits.

jpeg2000 is pretty massive.

If writing a jpeg2000 library was something that you were interested
in, I'd suggest writing it standalone so everybody could use it,
then include a gdk-pixbuf loader using your library as part of the
package.

and please, please please stay inside the area of jpeg2000 that is covered
by free patent grants for jpeg2000 standard.

Speaking of JasPer, it appears to be licensed under something similar to
the original BSD license. If this pixbuf loader is (eventually) to be
included as part of GTK+, is that acceptable, or do I have to get a copy
of ISO/IEC 15444-1 and write code from scratch?

BSD code with the advertising clause is generally speaking not suitable
for distribution with GTK+, since it is not GPL compatible.

JasPer licence is not really accurately described as the 4-clause bsd
licence, its quite different. Clauses D, E & F are nothing like the bsd
licence.

For an independently installed loader, my personal feeling is that if
you write a independently installed pixbuf loader that:

 A) Uses only symbols from the publically installed GTK+ headers
 B) Does not incorporate code from GTK+
 C) Is not written as a paraphrase of code in GTK+

wouldn't this kind of development be covered by lgpl anyways?

Then it is not a derived work of GTK+, and thus could be under any
license, even a proprietary license. (This is not a legal opinion, though I know of lawyers that have expressed similar opinions in cases that to me seem similar.)