Re: [Fwd: Folow-up question regarding the linux-fb port of gtk]

Owen Taylor wrote:

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 14:22, Abhishek Chitlangia wrote:
I'm in the process of porting gtk to a developmental OS that has its own basic windowing system that controls all memory and device accesses. This means that when I open a new display, the mmap call that maps the display's fb_mem pointer to the memory-mapped linux-fb (/dev/fb0) is replaces with a call to a function that returns a memory region that is to be assumed to be the linux fb. Hence, all operations that change the fb contents (like changing pixel contents) will now have to be followed up with a call to the windowing system to tell it to blit the contents onto the actual fb.

My question is this:
Is there one file or set of files whose functions write directly to the linux fb?
gdkrender-fb.c is one: are there any others?

appreciate any help. thanks.

You probably should look at the --enable-shadow-fb configure option ...
I'm not sure how finished it is, but it is meant to work exactly
as you described, where rendering operations go to an intermediate
frame buffer, then are blitted to the real fb.

Thanks for the suggestion. I spent some time looking at the shadow_fb stuff, but finally run into the same problem: In this OS, I don't have direct access to the linux-fb; so I need to make a call to the window system with a special "capability" that allows me rights to request a blit onto the actual fb. The window system then does the actual blitting. I have changed the gdkrender-fb code to make that call whenever the fb contents change (set_pixel functions, fill_span functions, etc.), but I want to make sure that this is the only file that has functions that talk directly to the linux-fb itself (I know.. too many "that"s)

Thanks.
-Abhi