Re: Is Alpha Channel support in next release plan?

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:22:53AM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> I'm not demanding that you do something.  I'm just wondering why you're
> pushing to wait until X supports alpha-channel when this issue has
> nothing to do with X at all.  Does this make sense?

No. ;-)

All the rendering (gdk_draw_*) is currently server-side. This means
you can't do alpha remotely well or efficiently without X server
support.

If you want to speed up alpha support, help with the Cairo (was Xr)
project, which will hopefully be the next-generation rendering for
GTK when it's ready. Adding slow/crappy/broken hacks in the meantime
just makes a mess (and makes apps slow/crappy/broken).

Havoc