Re: Is Alpha Channel support in next release plan?
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu>
- Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Is Alpha Channel support in next release plan?
- Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:58:54 -0400
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:22:53AM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> I'm not demanding that you do something. I'm just wondering why you're
> pushing to wait until X supports alpha-channel when this issue has
> nothing to do with X at all. Does this make sense?
All the rendering (gdk_draw_*) is currently server-side. This means
you can't do alpha remotely well or efficiently without X server
If you want to speed up alpha support, help with the Cairo (was Xr)
project, which will hopefully be the next-generation rendering for
GTK when it's ready. Adding slow/crappy/broken hacks in the meantime
just makes a mess (and makes apps slow/crappy/broken).
] [Thread Prev