Re: Where is gdkdisplay.c?

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan xfce org> writes:

> Talking about that, do you know where I could find a document describing
> the scope and benefits of these additions (ie screen migration if I
> understand well) because I'm a little confused (I thought XFree86
> Xinerama extensions where about managing several screens as a single big
> screen with a set of functions to get every single screen properties) -

Well, the new function calls are documeted in the API docs, but
there is no overview.

Screen migration is simply gtk_window_set_screen (window, new_screen)
there is no way to trigger it external from an app currently.

It's not needed for Xinerama, but there are still people who
run non-Xinerama multihead. Also, migration between different
displays, not just different screens on the same display is
possible.

> I'm also wondering the impact of all this on the window manager ('cause
> unless the WM lets you move a window from a screen to another one, I
> hardly see how the user will be able to migrate an application from a
> screen to another)

There would have to be a new convention involving probably
ClientMessages sent ot an app to drive migration.