Re: [Mingw-users] glib and pkg-config build on win2k

martyn 2 russell bt com writes:
 > Tell me, why does the configure script for glib require pkg-config?

Umm, good catch. GLib's configure script checks for pkg-config being
present, but then doesn't ask pkg-config for anything. I was
flabbergasted.

But then I realized the reasoning is that GLib wants to install it's
own .pc file, and requires a pkg-config installation so that there is
somewhere to install it.

 > If glib was able to be build without pkg-config, you would then avoid the
 > pkg-config depending on glib and visa versa malarkey.

Indeed. IMHO GLib should not check for pkg-config being present, there
isn't any harm in installing its .pc file in $libdir/pkgconfig even if
there is no pkg-config installed on the machine. (Of course, the .pc
file is useless then, until pkg-config gets installed, but so what.)

--tml