Re: gtk_font_selection widget

Satyajit <satyajit kanungo wipro com> writes:

> > >I also tried the same thing (as told by aruna).
> > >But owen how gtk1.X  shows the Preview where as in gtk+2
> > >it shows blanck (on the same system )
> > >

> > That is probably because gtk 1.2 didn't handle the encodings of the
> > fonts correctly ...
> > James.
>
> Should the above fonts be removed from the list then???
> Cause if the user chooses one of thease fonts , all the text will
> disapear and he won't be able to get back the fonts also. Sometime
> it hangs the system also.
>
> I think either thease fonts should be supported or  should be
> removed from the list.

I don't really know how to do this easily; it's very hard to tell
if a font is useable for the user or not.

The user has been warned to some extent - they saw all the text
vanish in the font selector's preview before they clicked OK.

I guess when changing the system font, you could have a

 "Click OK if you can see this"

And if the user doesn't respond within 15 seconds, revert to the
old choice ...

[ This all works better with Xft and modern font technology than
  it ever will with core X fonts. ]