Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

> Hi Owen,
>
> Just to be sure I'm understanding of the implications are correct :
>
> - pango has now a full dependency on fontconfig.
>   (As a side question why is fontconfig using expat instead of libxml)
> - pango has now a full dependency on xft.
>  (which in turn as a dependency the XRender extension)
>
> (by full dependency I mean configure stop if fontconfig.pc and xft.pc
> are not present on the system).
>
> So this mean effectively mean that pango will only work on XFree, right
?

> If so is there a way/plan to make these dependencies conditional to make
> pango and therefore all GNOME 2.0 applications work on other X servers ?

> (Yes, you are right, I'm thinking about Sun's X Server).

My understanding is that pango depends on fontconfig and xft2.
But xft2 no longer depends on the render extension, it can display
antialiased
fonts on any X server. fontconfig and xft2 are pure client-side libraries,
which
you should be able to build on Solaris using the tarballs provided at
http://keithp.com/fonts/

I think Keith is working on supporting libxml instead of expat, but this
is not
ready yet.

Matthias

PS I may be wrong here, I just got this whole maze build yesterday.