Re: gtk-engines update

Anders Carlsson <andersca gnu org> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 20:55, Chris Phelps wrote:
> > Anyone have objections to starting a gtk-engines-plus package with (the
> > current) mac-engine, thin-ice, crux, etc?
> >
> > I'm going to do some renaming action on my engine right now and then
> > have owen remove the mac-engine module from CVS. If no one objects, I'll
> > import gtk-engines-plus soon after.

Hmmm, please note that you should _never_ reimport code that is
already in CVS; instead find someone with access to the server
or mail cvsmaster gnome org and get the original files copied
to the new location; then you can 'cvs remove' them from the
old location.

> > Later,
> > Chris
>
> If owen doesn't disapprove of it, I'd rather have everything in
> gtk-engines. That makes more sense IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of a -plus setup. A -plus package is by definition
"things which aren't good enough to go in the main package". So, by
definition -plus package has no criterion for inclusion, and will
inevitably be a collection of unmaintained stuff that crashes
and doesn't compile.

On the other hand, while I'm willing to expand gtk-engines, I want
to keep it pretty limited.  I'd say the criterion would be:

 * Clean, maintainable code.

 * Maintained code. Unless the theme is tiny, there must be someone
   willing to take care of fixing and improving it.

 * No hacks. Must work within the GTK+ theme system. Or, if it has
   hacks, they must be _reliable_ hacks. That is, they must not
   interfere with other themes, and the theme must clean up after
   itself properly when loaded.

 * No copyright or trademark infringement. Must have original artwork,
   and an original name.

 * Must be useful. That is, it must be significantly different than
   other included theme engines; a theme engine that was "a better
   version of the Metal theme" would not be accepted, unless it
   replaced the metal theme.

 * Must be attractive. Obviously a matter of taste, but the mininum
   here would be "carefully drawn" and "you could imagine using
   it for an extended period of time."

 * Unless it's a clone of an existing look on a different platform,
   it must use the same "language" as the default GTK+ look.

The basic goal would be that a distribution could ship the gtk-engines
package with nothing added or removed and get a good set of themes
for their users.

This, means, among things, that the total number of themes shouldn't
be that large. If the number of themes (and a single engine, if well
written, might have mutiple themes) is more than 10 or so, I think
that would be too many.

For packages that don't get into gtk-engines package, I think separate
maintainance is the best idea... let the engine live or die on it's
own merits. If we need a "shareware" CD package, then we should do it
as CVS virtual module ... the only real disadvantage of that is that
configuration takes longer since every module needs to run it's own
configure.