gtk 1.3.15 on Solaris 8 w/ Sun C 5.0

I've successfully compiled gtk 1.3.15 on Solaris 8 using sun's Workshop
Visual C/C++ 5.0.

Now, I'd like to ask a question without incurring the wrath of the gtk+
development team...

Is it my compile or is gtk+ 1.3.x much sloooooooooooooooower than gtk+1.2?
Is there any recommended methods for improving this speed, other than
getting a faster machine? I mean, are there any significant speed
improvements by enabling compiler optimizations, etc?

I remember discussions regarding the speed issue about a year ago but I
didn't find any recent discussions on the topic.

Regards,

David