Re: Dependency libraries and ABI

Around 17 o'clock on Feb 27, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Looking at a random KDE build log from Red Hat's build system, it
> doesn't look like they link to Xft explicitly, here are the flags:

> I guess that means if we go with Owen's plan we are at least being
> consistent with existing practice.

More important is that it will avoid horrible lossage in the future when
Gtk moves from Xft.so.1 to Xft.so.2.  Do all of the BSDies have library
dependencies yet?

> That's reassuring; there are some noises about another GTK release in
> a very short timeframe to make multihead support available, so maybe
> we could pack this change into that release.

That seems like a good plan.  Suitable warning messages about linking to
Xft and a rapid update would probably keep the problems to a minimum.

> > Note that Xft1 will be getting ported to Fontconfig in the near term for
> > release with XFree86 4.3 -- the alternative leaves yet another incompatible
> > font configuration system for another year.
>
> That shouldn't cause problems, since Xft will pull in fontconfig via
> its NEEDED entry.

It's not a problem for Gtk+ 2, it's a problem for Gnome which will soon
need to support the new font configuration scheme under either Xft1 or
Xft2.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab