Re: _LIBICONV_H

Ali,
see the comments below.

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:35:55PM +0100, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:14, Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:
> > on AIX there is libiconv.a in /usr/lib from IBM and the corresponding iconv.h
> > in /usr/include so I always fall in the error condition in line 51
>
> a little text :)
>
> there are 2 ways in getting iconv support. if the system (no certain
> plattform named now) has glibc 2.2.x support then iconv is already build
> in and comes with that tarball.
>
> the other way is if the system uses glibc 2.1.x then you need an
> addational libiconv package (downloadable from ftp.gnu.org) i cant
> recall right now if the last way is 100% correct but i think thats
> correct.
It is AIX, the IBM Version of Unix, so there is no glibc at all.

> this seems to be that your system uses some external libiconv library
$ lslpp -w /usr/lib/libiconv.a
  File                                        Fileset               Type
  /usr/lib/libiconv.a                         bos.rte.iconv         File
bos = basic operating system
rte = runtime environment

> because the libc you are using doesnt support it
libiconv does

> the /usr/lib/libiconv.a is a static library
it is an archive with shared objects (the IBM way). It can be linked either
dynamic or static, default is dynamic (as shared library).

> b) in worst case temporarely uninstall external libiconv library and retry.
why not allow libiconv with iconv.h in case where it is part of operating system?

regards
--
Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann

MOSAIC SOFTWARE AG