Re: _LIBICONV_H

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:14, Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:
> on AIX there is libiconv.a in /usr/lib from IBM and the corresponding iconv.h
> in /usr/include so I always fall in the error condition in line 51

a little text :)

there are 2 ways in getting iconv support. if the system (no certain
plattform named now) has glibc 2.2.x support then iconv is already build
in and comes with that tarball.

the other way is if the system uses glibc 2.1.x then you need an
addational libiconv package (downloadable from ftp.gnu.org) i cant
recall right now if the last way is 100% correct but i think thats
correct.

as i saw in your previous patch you renamed libiconv calls to iconv
calls.

- AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, libiconv_open, with_libiconv=yes; found_iconv=yes)
+ AC_CHECK_LIB(iconv, iconv_open, with_libiconv=yes; found_iconv=yes)

this seems to be that your system uses some external libiconv library
because the libc you are using doesnt support it (at least thats my
first impression from your mail) may you please verify these things?

a) check in the FAQ for your libc tarball if your internal libc supports
   iconv on its own.. if so then installing a separate libiconv package
   is absolute unnecessary.

b) if your internal libc doesnt support iconv calls then make at least
   sure that your libiconv (that you need to install separately then, is
   more or less a more recent version).

the /usr/lib/libiconv.a is a static library and i doubt that when
compiling gtk/glib will use the static library during link time. so i
think it then refers back to internal libc iconv support. now the
configure script seem to be confusing because this:

your libc seem to support iconv calls. but for some unknown reasons you
also installed a separate libiconv package. now after running the
configure script it sees the exernal library but cant compile against it
because the dynamic library is missing. therefore you get an error. as
result you need to tweak the configure script to change to libc internal
iconv calls. as i said please check above a) and b) in worst case
temporarely uninstall external libiconv library and retry.

my 2 cents

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de