Re: NLS support

We removed the --disable-nls option because conditionally present API
is basically a bad idea; everyone that wants translation has to
have conditionals in their program, and has to code around the absence
if it isn't there.

The main reason --disable-nls was present before was that on some
systems there was no reasonable gettext to use with non-GPL
programs. Since GNU gettext is now LGPL, there is no reason people
can't just install it.

If you don't want message catalogs installed, simply set the LINGUAS
environment variable to "", and no message catalogs will be
installed. This will solve the "100 MB" problem.

(You might actually want to set it to something like "C en_US", since
one technique to use if two source strings collide in English is to
use something artifical for the key and have translations in place all
the time.)

<