NLS support

hello,

please allow me to ask the reason why there is no --disable-nls
feature in the configure scripts?

well i came up with this question in #gnome, #gtk+, #galeon and on
another network (efnet) well not only this question also some serious
discussions has been made.

some people say, that gtk and gnome wont support --disable-nls, another
couple of people say that glib-gettext.m4 is broken and another one say
that it may be supported and finally it end up with this email on this
development list.

- please let me inform you that there are a lot of people out that dont
  want and dont like nls support on their systems because of the waste
  of diskspace. we are not talking about some minor kilobytes here. we
  are talking about nearly 100 MB (on my system).

- the need of gettext beeing installed
- and in most situations the text embedded in the code itself is english
  already, there is no need to export any languages.

i know you might come up with the solution (i heard this several times)
to remove all unneeded locales after installation etc. but the point is
not to work around things. the point is howto avoid things.

could someone state a reply to this please? i think you must have a
serious reason for disabling --disable-nls.

cheers.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de