Re: More gdk backends?
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: Mudrony László <mudry infosrv tech klte hu>
- Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: More gdk backends?
- Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 14:09:14 -0400 (EDT)
Mudrony László <mudry infosrv tech klte hu> writes:
> For now I just want to hear your general opinions, a simple
> "Yeah, seems a good idea, join and start writing it" or a "Yeah, we may
> do it in some future release", or "Sorry, it won't work that simple" or
> maybe a "Not at all, this is ortogonal to our plans", or "We don't think
> that GDK will fit that purpose, but we dont mind" answer will do.
> I just want to decide that i need to write my own GUI or not.
> It would be real cool for example to have
I don't think we have anything against an OpenGL or SDL based
backend. But I would warn, that writing and maintaining
a GDK backend is Hard. As Tor, or Hans, or Sven would tell
- There aren't any docs.
- There really isn't any clean "interface" between the GDK backend
and the rest of GDK.
- There is no fallback structure for what operations the backend
implements ... every backend needs to implement all of it
- What interface there is between the backend and the rest of
GDK changes a lot (hopefully less in the 2.2 => 2.4 timescale, then
previously), and it's a lot of work to keep a backend in
sync with that.
] [Thread Prev