Re: Selecting colors for selected text

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Selecting colors for selected text
> >
> > Hello Alex-
> >
> > Alex Larsson wrote:
> > >
> > > In the latest gtk+ tree we've made some changes in the way selected text
> > > is shown. If the widget with the selection has the focus the selection
> > > will show with one color (fb/bg[SELECTED]), and if it is unfocused it
> > > will use another color (fb/bg[ACTIVE]).
>
> I think this points to a need for a separate color that is neither
> SELECTED nor ACTIVE.  [SELECTED-INACTIVE] ?

We know that the current system is completely broken, a solution was
proposed by owen here (This is also bug #51747):
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2001-March/msg00125.html
But we punted this, because we have to relase some time, we can't go on
adding new shit.

Adding more random states just leads to more brokenness.

> For some themes fg/bg[ACTIVE] may produce odd results if it is used
> for selected text.

fg/bg[ACTIVE] is not currently used for anything else in gtk+, that is
why we picked it. If a theme assigns random colors to it it has to be
fixed when porting it to gtk+ 2.0.

/ Alex