Re: u/int64 support for glib, status?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:10:57PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> C99 guarantees that there will be a type of _at least_ 64 bits.
>
> While C99 doesn't guarantee that there will be a type of width
> 64 any more than it guarantees that there will be a type of
> width 8, 16, or 32, I think it's a pretty safe bet that processors
> that have >= 64 bit types will have 64 bit types.

Sure, but the 64-bit type might be called "short" for a
sufficiently big machine.

For reference, the C99 ">= 64-bit" type is officially called
"long long."  See <http://web.onetelnet.ch/~twolf/tw/c/c9x_changes.html>

> And finally, if we have such a hypothetical problem, we can make
> g_value_set_int64 behave _as if_ the storage was 64 bits by
> truncating off the high part....

Uh, OK.  If it comes down to this or nothing then i am happy if
glib adds support for the type name "int64".

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!
  http://sahajayoga.org