Re: Outsanding GLib/GTK+ API bugs

Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM> writes:

> Hi:
>
> Just catching up on email since I was away...
>
> >GDK
> >===
> >50504  Multiple Display Support for X11 implementation [P?,Erwann/Owen]
> >  Notes: Owen is currently working on this
> >  Puntable: Applying patch will be punted. Review to make sure
> >            it can be applied compatibly can't
> >  Breakage: ?
> >  Time:     ~1 day for review
>
> I also saw an email from Owen implying that multi-head would go into
> GTK+-2.2.
>
> This is the first I've heard of it being punted for GTK+-2.0.  Does this
> mean that Gnome-2.0 will ship with GTK+-2.2 ?  I thought we were agreed
> that multi-head support was a stopper/must-have for Gnome 2.0.

Here's what I said when the issue first came up in April:

   At this point, I don't believe that adding multiple-display support
   is a feasible goal for GTK+-2.0.0. As you can see, the list of
   API issues that we still have to deal with at this point, at what
   we've been targetting hard as our API freeze date, is quite long.

   I'd certainly like to discuss your proposal with you at at GUADEC to
   make sure that we can get it in as soon as possible after
   GTK+-2.0.0. And if there are any minor changes that need to be made
   now to make this posssible, we probably can slip them into GTK+-2.0.0.

   Unfortunately, I simply have not, up to now, had the time to go over
   your interfaces in detail :-(, so without regard to issue of
   debugging, trying it out in practice, making sure it makes some
   sense for all ports, I just don't think we have enough time to
   do the final refinements to get something we sure that is right
   long term.

   As always, you have to draw a line somewhere so you can move on
   to the next release. Rest assured, there are many, many things
   that I wish I could do for this release, but are not feasiable
   for GTK+-2. at this point.

This is the same message I tried to convey at GUADEC, and since
then. It seems that I didn't succeed in this.

I'm very aware that it's now 5 months past GUADEC and we still
aren't completely frozen. But this is _not_ a reason why we can
say "well, one month more or less won't hurt, let's just slip
feature X in.".