RE: Patch for GtkLayout (was: GnomeCanvas and zooming)

> From: Havoc Pennington [mailto:hp redhat com]
> Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> >         Ah; ok - we need to send the patch to gtk-devel;
> guys can you
> > process this fix suggestion ?
>
> It's in bugzilla, I mailed Arjan privately and pointed out the need to
> do that.
>
> >         Also; the gtk_layout_freeze/thaw is marked
> deprecated inside gtk+,
> > so quite possibly we need to absorb this code into the
> canvas itself, with
> > our own canvas freeze / thaw - if in fact this is
> neccessary; what do you
> > think ?
>
> No idea (as the deprecation comment says, it's unclear what layout
> freeze/thaw even are supposed to do).
>
> I would guess that GnomeCanvas internals need rethinking, since all
> the flicker-avoidance and scrolling stuff now happens automatically. I
> don't know if this has been done or not. I don't know if it matters
> for this change...

Can't GtkLayout be changed so that it will draw itself in during idle time (just like other widgets)? I've altered GnomeCanvas so it won't need the gtk_layout_freeze/thaw() functions anymore. A bug report with a patch is added to bugzilla.gnome.org (id: 62539).

Regards,

Arjan