Re: New default theme

At 09:07 02.05.01 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

>Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM> writes:
>
>> [context omitted, sorry ;-)]

>> >Well, it depends on the widget...

You are talking of a dotted line (IMO it is one pixel drawn, one or more
pixels left uncanged, but there is code in gtk/gtkstyle.c:3713ff

  if (detail && !strcmp (detail, "add-mode"))
    gdk_gc_set_dashes (style->black_gc, 0, "\4\4", 2);
  else
    gdk_gc_set_dashes (style->black_gc, 0, "\1\1", 2);

which gives a dashed lined for most "active widget" indications. The
originial "Windoze Theme" from Micro$oft does in fact use dotted
lines for this ...

>> > GtkEntry/GtkTextView: No focus indication other than the cursor.
>> >   (We probably will want to make the cursor blink by default, though
>> >   the red cursor that testgtk is using now is pretty effective
>> >   too...)
>> [...]
>>
>> But the "cursor only" indication strikes me as a little weak, can we not
>> draw a dotted or transparent line around the text canvas?  And of course
>> red is only effective if you aren't color blind :-)
>
>The red suggestion is, more or less, a joke. The trouble with adding
>a dotted line indication is:
>
> a) It uses quite a bit of space (you need to reserve 4 extra
>    pixels horizontally and vertically
>
> b) It looks rather odd and clutters up where you are typing.

Totally agreed to a) and b). But why does the current cvs version draw
"activation indication" around edit fiedls than (i.e. Gtktest::text).
Is it to get more consent, that it looks odd ? :-)

Some more things, which appear odd to me, while doing the direct
comparsion (I'm using Gtk+ win32).

- the checkboxes and radio buttons are drawn as white and
  gray squares. Is this by design or is it a backend issue ?

- The default background color of tooltips is still gray. (I've
  brought up this issue some years ago, the suggested workaround
  to change gtkrc doesn't appear to work anymore.) Even if it
  would work via rc-file, I still think it should be done right
  even with "messed up" gtkrc. Should I fill a bugreport ?

- The scrollbar arrows are too strong (compared with the original).
  IMHO the baseline of the triangle should be removed, to get sharp
  corners all around.

- The option menu arrows (c|sh)ould be replaced by one single arrow
  pointing down.

- The arrows to "scroll" edit controls look better than the original :-)

Regards,
	Hans