Re: Use of GObject properties in GTK+ 2.0

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Eric Lemings wrote:

> Tim Janik wrote:
> >
> > with the freeze and thaw notify fucntions in gobject, a bunch of properties
> > can queue up that notification is required for. the actuall notification will
> > then be emitted at thaw time, causing multiple GObject::notify signals with
> > different details (the details being the property names).
> > if you implement a listener that does some expensive action in response to
> > property changes, you'd probably rather be notified with the whole list of
> > properties that have changed than on each individual property. in that case
> > you'd connect to ::properties_changed. the most frequent use though is
> > people connecting to GObject::notify::<detail>.
>
> Maybe I missing something but what is the difference in connecting to
> the ::properties_changed signal and the ::notify signal without using a
> detail?  Or MUST you provide a detail for the ::notify signal?

if you connect a signal handler without detail to GObject::notify,
it'll get called during every emission, regardless of the detail
of the emissions (in that sense, it acts as awild card for "all
details"). but that will still leave you with one property per
handler invocation, only if you connect to ::properties_changed,
you can handle them in batches.

> Eric.

---
ciaoTJ