Re: GtkNotebook accelerators.

On 1 Mar 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Our general idea on this is that accelerators should just be
> properties of widgets, and then we have some magic so that they get
> registered with the toplevel default accel group while widgets are
> mapped and unregistered when widgets are unmapped. So then everything
> Just Works for the most part, with some special-casing to handle
> menus.

who has this "our general idea"? simply relying on the mapped state of
a widget will not cut it, e.g. menus are for the most part unmapped
and still you want their accelerators to take effect.
also that doesn't account for accelerator change negotiation, i.e.
when accelerators are being loaded from a config file or changed
on menu items.
besides that, there are other yet unresolved issues wrt accelerators
pending.

> Currently very torn between trying to fix accelerators in this way for
> 2.0, or punting it. Owen already partially had to deal with it to
> implement plug/socket in terms of the XEmbed spec, and the notebook
> thing brings it up, etc. so those are arguments for just dealing with
> the problem, but on the other hand it might cause delays.

we can't sufficiently resolve this for 2.0, there's simply too
little time left for a complete revamp of the way accelerators
work, and that's what we need long term.
so this issue definitely will be punted to post-2.0, untill then,
people can use different accel groups for notebook pages (we migth
want to introduce convenience functions to a) block whole accel
groups, and b) couple an accel groups blocked state to notebook
page visibility, but that's about it).

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ