Best way to receive pixel coordinates from image

Hello,

I want to create an app to display an image on screen and be able to recieve
events such as mouse location, button pressed, etc. I is not an animation so I
don't think it is going to be very demanding computational-wise. I would be
reading the RGB values from a file and creating the image to be displayed
(unless I can display a *.ppm directly). I expect to create functionality such
as zoom, crop, etc.

I would appreciate a hint on what is the best way to go about it. I was
thinking of using GtkImage to display a GdkImage and gdk_image_put_pixel,
since it is not going to be a very dynamic application (i.e. not an
animation). Can I listen for mouse coordinates and refresh the image without
having to redraw everything (to mark an area for example).

--miguel