Re: PATCH: glib iochannel win32 bug fix

On 02 Jul 2001 22:12:20 -0400
Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> > *giowin32.c: g_source_remove()ing an socket iochannel closes
> > 	the socket when it should not. Patch by Peter Zelezny
> > 	<zed linux com>
> > *giowin32.c: Fix a few typos
> >
> > Owen, perhaps there should be a win32 "production" branch of glib 1.3
> > going back a bit. Tor created one for gtk-1.3 a while back. The reason
> > why I say this is that Tor is unfortunately still offline after his
> > move and he has not done any release in while. I have been telling
> > people to keep up with CVS on windows but now all sorts of API changes
> > are happing.
>
> Well, we are very much in the process of finishing off the last
> few API changes before freezing for 2.0, so we hope to keep
> changes minimal to non-existant after this week.
>
> But its quite possible that HEAD GLib is not going to work perfectly
> with gtk-1-3-win32-production: there is a lot of work that has gone on
> since the branchpoint of the gtk-1-3-win32-production tree.
>
> If someone wanted to do the work to identify a date to branch at do
> the work of porting fixes after that date to the branch, I wouldn't
> object if they did that work in the repostory.
>
> I would, however, think it would be good if development efforts on the
> Win32 port focused on getting HEAD up to speed ... in the end
> gtk-1-3-win32-production is a dead end, and people won't
> be writing applications for GTK+-1.2 or for that in the future.
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

You could probably encourage people to use glib 1.3.6 with
gtk-1-3-win32-production. The one I'm using on win32 is roughly checked
out from CVS at 1.3.6, the last ChangeLog entry being:

2001-06-11  Havoc Pennington  <hp redhat com>
	* NEWS: updated
	* configure.in (GLIB_MICRO_VERSION): increment version to 1.3.6

This version works very well, and it seems to be compatable with GTK 1.2
apps. I assume there are tarballs of 1.3.6 around?

--
Peter Zelezny. <zed linux com>