Re: Portability and distribution with Gtk+ 1.3

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

> > > zlib    (needed by libpng)
> > > libpng  (needed by gdk-pixbuf to at least load the stock images)
> > similar here.
>
> I don't believe this is true, since there are built-in png images in
> Gtk that provide stock images and require libpng.
>
> Also, it is currently not possible to build gtk without having libpng
> (well for the same reason, the embedded png images).

Sorry missed this.  Has libpng really been giving you portability problems
though?

> So the issue remains.
>
> > The pango and gdk-pixbuf modules (or a subset thereof) can be compiled
> > into the respective libraries, which gets rid of some of these `hidden'
> > dependencies, which should be a help if you are trying to statically link
> > a program.
>
> Could you give more details, or pointers that explain this ?
> Also, "some" is worrisome in your sentence.

When compiling pango, you can pass the
"--with-included-modules=MODULE1,..." option to configure.  So if you only
ever use a subset of the available modules, you can compile those in.  For
instance:
  ./configure --with-included-modules=basic-x

With just "./configure --with-included-modules", all modules will be
included.

For gtk+, there is the --with-included-loaders=... option.  I haven't seen
an option for including input method modules though.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/