Re: GTK emebedded

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Stefan Skoglund wrote:

> Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> > Probably he was using the word "proprietary" to mean "in-house". When
> > reading the following, one can see that his companys actually does
> > respect the (L)GPL requirements since those licenses only covers
> > redistribution.
>
> Addition to my post:
> his customers should be in their right to redistristribute, add
> features,
> fix bugs, add bugs ie they have the same right as he depended on when
> they did their changes to Gtk.
>
> The server and their proprietary gdk library must be LGPL if
> they are to conform to the Gtk license.

Provided that the proprietary GDK library is not a derived work (which I
am not completely sure it isn't), it doesn't need to be licenced under the
LGPL.  The LGPL on gtk means it can be linked to proprietary code.  There
probably isn't any issues with the X server though.

I don't really see the value of this code since it would be illegal to
distribute any of the GPL'd GTK apps linked against this proprietary GDK.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/