Re: gdk-pixbuf to GTK

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 07:26:24PM -0500, wrote:
> > We shouldn't have to maintain tiff/jpeg/png code - someone else already
> > does this.
> *shouldn't* have to, no argument there. But you cannot depend on having
> either:
> 1) The appropriate libraries/headers, (especially on embedded systems) or
> 2) The appropriate _versions_ of the libraries/headers
> available on a given machine.

That is why we use autoconf.

> Not to mention that I'd bet dollars to donuts that the interfaces to what
> amounts to the same kind of data (pixmaps) are completely different in all
> three libraries. You're going to have to encapsulate them anyway.

Abstraction code already exists in gdk_pixbuf.

> >  We also shouldn't muck around installing things from the GTK+
> > tarball that don't belong there.
> If by this you mean including the current lib[foo] tarballs in with the GTK
> tarballs, you're absolutely correct. Trying to interface the GTK
> configure/make process with these alien libraries would not only be
> painful, but would be difficult to make reliable across multiple platforms
> and multiple compilers/cross compilers.
> That's not what I meant. Instead, I'm talking about extracting the relevent
> code from the image format libraries, and writing native GTK functions that
> implement them.
> Yes, that means every time one of these libs changes that someone has to
> roll the changes into GTK code - but these libraries don't change all that
> often. And the convienince of grabbing GTK and knowing all the appropriate
> bits are included is a big win.

That defeats the entire purpose of packaging up code in library format.
It would also be forking the code for no reason whatsoever.

> > Most people who compile from source probably already have these things
> installed
> > because other things do use them.
> You cannot assume that - I've just been through that experience on Solaris.
> And what about Win32 or embedded systems where the libraries don't exist or
> won't compile cleanly as provided by the library maintainers?

All these libraries we are talking about are very well tested on Solaris;
in fact, that's probably where a couple of them were written.  And we are
talking about libraries which are optional.

Shawn T. Amundson
Research and Development
EventLoop, Inc.

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking