Re: GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG by default allow_grow?

Antonio Campos <acampos@ceronet.com> writes:
> I think that GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG windows, should default to
> allow_grow=FALSE when created, because they are usually used to display
> temporary and fixed sized information on the user screen. (I think
> GNOME dialogs work this way).
> If for whatever reason, a programmer wants an GTK_WINDOW_DIALOG allowed
> to grow (allow_grow=TRUE) (I think it's not a good idea, see what ugly
> looks the GIMP Tip of The Day dialog when maximized...), she/he allways
> has the opportunity to do it through a call to gtk_window_set_policy ...

You should file this sort of suggestion in the bug tracker, or people
will end up just forgetting to do it...

> Another thing related to resizing... I would like to see a WM able to
> hide the resize cursors that appear when you are on the corners of a
> window, if this window has allow_grow and allow_shrink equal to FALSE.
> This is good from the user perspective, since the user notes that the
> window can't be grown or shrunk. And I obviously think this is the right
> thing for GTK_WINDOW_DIALOGs too.
> Is this a GDK/GTK related problem or a WM one?

Sort of both... GTK could turn off the resize decorations with MWM
hints, but the window manager could also notice that the min size and
max size size hints are the same and turn off the resize
decorations. So you can file a GTK bug for GTK 1.4, and also hassle
your favorite window manager author.

Havoc