modal windows

Suppose I have a window (a painting program for example), and then the
user selects exit from the menues or press the close button that the
WM puts over my window.
Then I can show a modal dialog asking the user to save his/her work,
before closing the application.

But, and here comes the problem: with gtk, the user still can focus the
main program window, and worse, close the main program window (bypassing
the modal dialog question) pressing over the close button that the
WM puts over the window.

I think this is incorrect. I know I can stop the emmision of the
"destroy" signal over the main window to not let the user close the main
window throught the WM, but shouldn't that be done directly by setting
the dialog window to modal? Even more, shouldn't a modal window not
allow the user to focus other windows of the program?

Thanks in advance...