Re: none

On 13 Dec 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:

> > > It has exactly one feature not found in GObject, which is the
> > > "destroy" signal. Our claim is that "destroy" is only useful for GUI
> > > objects, so "destroy" should really be in GtkWidget. So GtkObject is
> > > just legacy cruft.
> >
> > well, to be technically correct, GtkObject has the ::destroy signal,
> > weak references, flags, introduces the floating state, has
> > get_arg/set_arg compatibility code and introduces the user_data property
> > (though of questionable benefit since GObject now supports a property
> > data::user_data).
>
> Weak refs is another thing that would be useful in GObject, especially
> since it was one of the proposed workarounds for not having a
> "destroy" signal.

i don't know who proposed, that dude must have been on crack,
destroy serves a completely different purpose than weak_refs.

the reason why i didn't implement weak_refs for GObject is that they
are extremely rarely used on GtkObject, and for the rare cases where
you can't get away without it, you can still use named data (which is
how weak refs are implemented in GObject btw).

>  - Maciej

---
ciaoTJ